Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My Top 3...Television Series

     We recently asked our Facebook "fans" what content and questions they would like to see answered in our blog. One of those questions was to list some of our favorite television shows, music, movies, etc... That particular subject sounded lighthearted and enjoyable to write about, so I took the initiative to begin my "my top..." blogs with one about something I do not particularly put a lot of emphasis on in my life, but something that helps pass time and keeps me occupied when I am sick in bed on a deary day: television shows. 
      I cannot say I watch a lot of television- I get far too distracted with other things to "get into" a new series someone tells me to check out. I say all this to say that I may not be the most experience or seasoned television watcher, but I will say I feel that I have good enough taste to know when I happen to watch or catch on to something that is good. However, my experience has been that I do not catch on to an interesting or worthwhile program until after the fact that it has been canceled for a few years. Better late that never, here are a few shows I would recommend watching on a rainy day when you have nothing better to do with your time:

'This American Life'- Taken from the Chicago-based radio show (which comes highly recommended by yours truly), this series "pick[s] a theme each week, then brings you a story on that theme". Hosted by the handsome-as-can-be Ira Glass, I have been exposed to some of the most honest, soul-searching and interesting stories from real people living real lives. Each episode is completely different and explores a different topic or theme, which keeps it fresh and interesting. I recommend getting your feet wet with such episodes as "God's Close-Up", "Pandora's Box", and "Escape". Although the television version of the show only lasted two seasons, you can still here the show in radio format each week.

'Parks and Recreation'- This is probably the only show I watch that has not been canceled yet- although I hope in writing this post I do not change these circumstances. From the creators of 'The Office', this show has a very similar style- a film crew is documenting the lives of the Parks and Recreation department in Pawnee, Indiana. The cast of the show vibe so well together and include and awesome cast of cats such as Amy Poehler, Aziz Ansari, and Rashida Jones. I think the best part about the show is how it progressively gets better as the episodes move along. I have not been able to begin season 3 yet, so do not even think about ruining anything for me! :)

'Arrested Development'- I saved the best for last- put simply, "Arrested Development is the story of a wealthy family who lost everything and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together". If you are not watching this show, you are missing out on an important life experience. However, I recommend starting from the beginning- understanding the characters of this series is crucial (and you will probably understand even the tiniest jokes). Of all the shows I have recommended, even if you only invest your time in one of them, let it be this one. And remember, "there's always money in the banana stand".


-Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment