Thursday, June 2, 2011

Decisions

The decisions that we make now determine the course of the rest of our lives. This is a concept that is becoming increasingly clear in my own mind. There is a lot of responsibility that comes with that knowledge. I have a lot of friends who have made the choice to pursue marriage, college, a career, or a dream. I am at a place where life is forcing me to acknowledge the choices that I have made so far, as well as the consequences of them.

I am faced with a severe sense of confusion lately. I feel as if I walked into a forest with a compass, but without a map. I was told that if I go straight through the forest, I would come out on the other side, exactly where I am supposed to be. Throughout the journey, I have lost either the support of, or simply communication with friends and loved ones. I have traded the future that my upbringing has told me to pursue, the friends I was once close to, the stability of having a real job, and now my relationship with the girl I love because of a whisper, because a still small voice led me into a forest, without warning me of the trials I would experience as a result of obedience.

It is difficult to face this reality. It sounds absurd to stay committed to an uncharted path. I see a multitude of well-paved roads that I could take, all of which would lead me out of this forest. But there is no assurance that any of them will take me to my intended destination. So I must continue on the path I am on. I must continue to follow a compass, rather than a map. I must continue to follow the whisper of one rather than the shouts of many. And at the end of my journey, when all is said and done, I recognize the chance that I may have little to show for my efforts. I may have no money, no education, no wife, no career, and no house to call my own. But the only way to achieve anything of supreme value is through a willingness to sacrifice everything of lesser value.

I don’t know who is reading this, or where you are in your own journey. But I want to encourage you to recognize that the true purpose for your life may not seem logical. Regardless of who you are, you were made for something extraordinary. Don’t make the mistake of sacrificing what you were created to do just because it’s dark in the forest. You may be closer than you think to reaching the other side.

-David

2 comments:

  1. David you quite possibly wrote this just for me. It is extremely encouraging to see another human going through a dark time with no maps. I feel the confusion you speak of. Though I don't have a end destination to point my compass toward- I think Im in the forest just trying to figure out which direction I'm supposed to head and I have all sorts of maps on hand and I have no idea where I need to turn.

    Its not that I dont have hope- I do. I know I have a faithful God that will pull me in the direction he has for me. But sometimes it is quiet at night in the forest with nothing but the night creatures to be heard.

    Thank you for being obedient and leading by example, I'm praying for you- please know that God see's your heart and obedience and will bless you beyond what you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra, thank you for the kind words. Perhaps there is some joy to be found in our mutual trial, in and of itself.

    -David

    ReplyDelete