Saturday, September 3, 2011

I'm No Abe Lincoln, But...

You don’t actually believe in something huge if the impact it has on your life is small. If you claim to believe in something so important that your life should be centered around it, but you live as if it means nothing to you, you are a liar and a fraud. I know that sounds harsh. Please forgive me if any of this is offensive. But we try to be honest here, and honestly, I’m getting pissed.

I’ll try to be less vague. It feels more and more like our generation claims to believe in God, but then refuses to acknowledge his existence in their lives. To be clear, IT DOES NOT OFFEND ME TO TALK TO PEOPLE WHO DON’T BELIVE IN GOD. What offends me to me core, however, is to watch people who say they do acting with total disregard for it. I have friends who flat out admit that they don’t believe in the existence of God, that they think we’re here by chance, and that the lack of irrefutable evidence in support of a creator is too overwhelming for them to believe. I respect the honesty in that. While I may personally disagree with their conclusions, I give them credit for being honest with themselves and with others.

There is one key difference between someone who believes in God and someone who does not. A lack of belief in God requires nothing of you. A belief in God requires everything of you. So before you sign your name on the dotted line because it’s what your parents or friends did, carefully consider the fact that when you join a group of any kind, you become a reflection of that group. For instance, if I were a Communist, I would be pretty ticked if a bunch of free-market capitalists started joining the Communist party, taking on that title, and portraying ideals that are fundamentally different than those that Communism stands for.

(To clarify, I’m not a Communist.)

I’m not going to judge anyone for their actions, and I fully recognize that there are people who sincerely strive to live as God intends them to, but almost constantly fall short. I am one of them. But the key lies in sincerity. So regardless of what it is that you believe in, be honest about it, and live a life that is true to it. I’m not talking exclusively about religion. Religion is just an easy target, because religion claims to know the answers to life’s questions, and should consequently be held to a higher standard. Just live your life in a way that you won’t regret when you’re old or dead.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment