Sunday, August 28, 2011

Oh, Panera Bread

   We were headed to a show in Wilmington, Ohio yesterday. Nothing unusual, just hopped off the highway and stopped by a Panera Bread. While in line I was asked for my name. The young lad working asked if I played in a band. I said I did and he asked if it was Mike Mains and The Branches. I said, "yes sir". He said he was a big fan. He ended up introducing me to just about the entire staff whom he had proselytized into MMTB fan's seemingly overnight. So, I hooked him up with a shirt and invited him to our show that night.

   He and his girlfriend came out and we got to hang some. For this young lad I hope the evening was a blast. But David, if you are reading this I want to thank you. I was having a pretty decent day. Yet, you brightened it by helping me realize something so profound: what I do is so much bigger than who I am. Even if I die tomorrow no one can take "Home" and the songs away from me or the hands of all that welcomed it.

   This record is a direct reflection of some of the darkest and most painful experiences of not only my life but our entire band's. You, my friend, have shown me that we can make an impact. The fact that simply obeying what we felt posssed to do meant playing a song that make you smile makes it all worth while.

   I hope that college goes well for you. I hope things work out for you and your sweet girlfriend. I hope your family is healthy, safe and sound. My advice to you is to never quit. No matter how high the tide or how steep the mountain. Continue putting one foot in front of the other. And finally as my dear friend Rev. Jon Moore says, "Walk in love, Walk in truth, and in forgiveness."

- Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment