Friday, March 11, 2011

Nothing New Under the Sun

Nobody has anything insightful to say. I realize the irony of me writing a blog post that starts with that sentence. Maybe it’s just an honest admission that I recognize the senselessness of trying to type out words that have some sort of impact. Don’t get me wrong. I definitely recognize that words have the power to impact people. But I would argue that it is not words themselves that have an impact, but the ideas that they carry. Paint alone cannot move someone on a deep level. But paint arranged in the right way can convey ideas that words could never illustrate.

But regardless, these ideas that strike us are not new. All concepts have been recycled and reworded. For any of us to suggest that some idea has originated in our heads is to plagiarize. There is nothing new under the sun. I guess that means I’ll just have to write my blogs at night.

So let’s just do our best to keep quiet unless speaking would enhance whatever situation we are in. And if we must speak, let us only speak words that encourage those around us. And when we bring up some allegedly insightful concept or idea, we should, in all humility, acknowledge that we ourselves truly know very little about anything.

-David

No comments:

Post a Comment