Friday, February 11, 2011

There’s something about bow ties. Boy, I tell ya, nothing better. I don’t know what it is. I don’t even feel super cool wearing a bow tie. I don’t do it in the hipster way (at least not intentionally!). I just feel like bow ties connect my neck to the history of manhood. I am not just wearing a plaid, oddly shaped and mostly useless accessory. I am sharing in a tradition with our forefathers. I am partaking in the same senseless custom of so many great men who have worn this badge of honor before me.

I think my generation has given up on needless traditions without giving them a fair shot. Mankind cannot maintain the fullest measure of its sanity adhering only to practices that make sense. In fact, I contend that it is necessary to engage in things that do not make sense (without harming anyone), in order to blame the unexplainable on the unknown, which I think is a crucial part of coping with apparently senseless suffering.

I’m not saying that my bow tie saves me from experiencing all of life’s suffering… only some of it.

-David


No comments:

Post a Comment